frame

Easter - TWO eye witnesses....the centurion....and D. Thomas!

stmannstmann Posts: 53Member
in Theological Discussion Must be logged on
Note

Let’s not get too complicated here. Not everyone was exactly ‘all in’, at least not from the start. Consider -

Now Thomas…one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. [Jesus showed up at a closed door meeting of the disciples the evening of resurrection day, without opening the door by the way, so the apostles could see Him and His wounds…and to instruct them to FORGIVE!]. The other disciples therefore said to [Thomas], ‘We have seen the Lord.’

So he  [Thomas] said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.’

[who could blame Thomas? He had presumably been born a twin. However no mention is ever made of his unknown sibling, so it is possible his twin had died. One who has lost a close family member, particularly a twin sibling, would not likely be quick to give in to speculation and giddiness]

And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, ‘Peace to you!’ Then He said to Thomas, ‘Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

And Thomas answered and said to Him, ‘My Lord and my God!’

Jesus said to him, ‘Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’            John 20:24-29

[years later, while on one of his numerous trips to India, establishing new groups of believers, Thomas is said to have been martyred for his faith…being continuously stabbed with spears! Not exactly the type of life and death one wavering in faith might expect!]

+ + +

Anyone appreciate a little first hand, expert eye witness, written testimony?  consider the implications of Mark 15:39:

when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, “Truly this Man was the Son of God!”

[Note: the word ‘was’ would likely indicate that the crucified Jesus Christ of Nazareth was indeed old history…DEAD!]