frame

May Devotional (theme: mothers day and graduations!)

stmannstmann Posts: 57Member
in Miscellaneous Must be logged on
Note

A call beckoning the Hundredth Sheep

May 2019 – a time of flowers and gardens and graduations and honoring mothers!

+

So, what exactly is it that mothers do [regarding conception and growth of a preborn human]?

Alexander  Tsiaras , Dept. of Medicine at Yale [not exactly known lately as a bastion of ‘divinity’], has used a new kind of scanning technology  [akin to MRI’s] enabling researchers to ‘see things that had never been seen…things about the body that just makes you marvel- all beginning with two simple cells that had this unbelievable machinery that would become  the  magic…to become YOU! 

v  At only 25 days, the heart chamber begins developing

v  At 28 days, the preborn human is developing at a rate of 1 million cells per second

v  At 32 days arms and hands

v  At 35 days (5 weeks) the early atrium appears

v  At 36 days, primitive vertebrae…                                      

v  At 44 days the ‘growth of cells’ becomes ‘something’ recognizable

v  At 45 days the child’s heart is beating (independently of, and twice as fast as the mothers!)

v  At 52 days retina [eye], nose and fingers…

v  At 63 days (9 weeks) the infant in process of creation / formation truly looks like a miniature human being!

All of this begins with two simple [independent] cells [from two different adults] that had this unbelievable ‘pre-wired machinery’ that would become the ‘magic’…to become YOU! HOW does the mother’s body have this biological mechanism inside to actually see of these instructions come to fruition? For example - exactly where that nerve cell should go! How does the mother’s body understand to not only builds its own, but then has the understanding that allows her to become a walking immunological cardiovascular system that basically is a mobile system that can actually nurture and keep this child…again, marvelling that this is far beyond our comprehension…the magic of the existence that is us!

By the time of birth at 9 months (270 days), the human body has almost 60,000 miles of vessels inside your body, only one mile of which is visible…59,999 miles which are basically bringing nutrients and taking waste away…the complexity of building that within a single system is beyond the comprehension of any comprehension that any existing mathematics today….and the instruction set…from the brain to every other part of the body;  look at the complexity of the folding within the brain!  Where is the intelligence for that folding?

[The development of the new human is] ‘…so perfectly organized…we kept seeing this over and over and over again….it’s hard not to attribute divinity to it;  scanning development of fetus from conception to birth’.

[From a ‘TED Talk’ given December 2010]

In stark contrast to the marvelous, improbable, miracle of the development of a preborn human inside the mother’s womb, a current major issue in north amerika is abortion, as one of the most evil violations of God’s instructions to humans (the gruesome execution of a tiny but complete living human, the racial implications, the ‘practice’ as a profit making venture with ‘useable parts’ usually sold, not to mention funded by taxes! It is modern day ‘baal worship’ – wantonly glorifying sexuality and unceremoniously discarding (and often selling usable ‘parts’) the ‘by-product’ as desired…the ‘right to choose’). The most common reason for parents to execute their preborn child is ‘inconvenience to have a child’.

And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries (pharmaceuticals)

or their sexual immorality or their thefts.     Revelation 9:21

+

In the past month a movie was played in amerikan theatres – ‘Unplanned’. An excerpt from the movie in a review written by Alexanra DeSanctis on April 2 –

After a day on the job at Planned Parenthood, Abby Johnson greets her young daughter — who stares in concern and asks her mother why there’s blood spattered on her white sneakers. Abby replies that she helped a woman who had a nosebleed.

But her husband knows better. “Nobody ever said abortion was pretty,” she tells him defensively after their daughter has left the room.

+

Most ghastly, demonic headlines of the month –  

CNN Contributor Insanely Claims Unborn Babies Aren’t Even Human

Some Kids Are Unwanted, So You Kill Them Now or You Kill Them Later – Rep. John Rogers

+

A publicly posted testimony of a woman calling herself Ginny Mullins -  ‘when I was 15 I became pregnant, my parents talked me in to giving my baby up for adoption... I was blessed to be reunited with my daughter when she was 27 years old. The first thing she said to me was thank you for not getting an abortion’. 

+

Reassuring, heartwarming headline of the month –

Mississippi Governor Signs Abortion Ban:

I want to Tell the Lord ‘I Fought for Innocent Babies’

Phil Bryant, Governor of Mississippi

lifenews.com

However, regardless of what your mother taught you, please know–

Skepticism, not cleanliness, is next to Godliness.

Skepticism is the father of freedom.

It is like the pry that holds open the door for truth to slip in."

- Gerry Spence [wise, respected, folksy attorney who represented Randy Weaver in his successful lawsuit against the govt for shooting his wife and pre adolescent son], in his book

Seven Simple Steps to Personal Freedom: An Owner's Manual for Life

+

Beloved, do not believe every spirit [thought], but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. I John 4:1-3

Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves…by their fruits you will know them.     Matthew 7:15, 20

Cursed is the man who trusts in man…whose heart departs from the Lord. Jeremiah 17:5

Profiles of Godly Mothers from the Word of God

Scriptures contain stories of many women, mothers, who in one way or another, were heroines as a result of their faith in walking with God. This essay is a brief overview of a few of my own personal favorite ‘winning women’. Women who overcame their trials, despite the pressures of the world.

There was the unnamed Samaritan woman who came upon Jesus one day when she went draw water from Jacob’s well. Despite being the wrong gender, the wrong ‘faith’ and society outcast, Jesus engaged in conversation with her. After the initial part of the conversation, the woman proclaimed –

‘Sir, I perceive You are a prophet’ [I still chuckle at this understatement!] many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified….; John 4:19. 28-29, 39

The ‘virtuous wife’ of Proverbs 31–

Who can find a virtuous wife? [valuable, loyal, trustworthy, hardworking, enterprising, and no doubt a wonderful real life example to her household and beyond!]  Proverbs 31:10, 20

Mother Lemuel who offered succinct, no-nonsense instructions to her grown son to get involved (KING Lemuel!) -

Open your mouth for the speechless, in the cause of all who are appointed to die. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.                                                                Proverbs 31:8-9

The impoverished widow, who gave a ‘mere’ mite, small in an absolute scale, but a huge amount in comparison to her poverty. The widow gave out of her devotion to her loving heavenly Father, without regard for her own personal needs. The giving of the widow was shown to be in stark contrast to the stingy offerings given those of substantial means. (Mark 12:42-44)

Martha and Martha – to be task oriented? Or to be people oriented? Deferring a task to become involved in the story of another, whether to BE fed, or to encourage and feed another.

… Martha welcomed [Jesus] into her house…and her sister Mary sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word… But Martha was distracted with much serving...  Luke 10:38-40

…and the cares of this world…choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful…  Mark 4:19

Mary the mother of Jesus, and Salome courageously elected to join Mary Magdalene in a predawn stealthful trek across the locked down city of Jerusalem to express affection and grief for the recently executed, Jesus. The day after Sabbath, and three full days after her ‘dead and buried’ first born child was placed in a borrowed tomb, and guarded by Roman soldiers. The tomb was empty!  Mary the mother and Salome and Mary Magdalene  cast aside all caution and ran back to their safe house to tell the others. There was no chance for the Romans to spin a fictitious story about how the body had been moved or stolen.

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, ‘They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!’   John 20:1-2

Deborah was a prophetess and one of the ‘judges’ over Israel before the time of the kings, Saul, David and Solomon, When her domestic chores were completed, Deborah sat outside near the road under a shade tree, aptly named ‘Deborah’s Tree’. Folks came from near and far seeking her wisdom! One such visitor was named Barak, a commander of Israel’s army. And a coward.

Has not the Lord God of Israel commanded, ‘Go and deploy troops at Mount Tabor…and I will deliver Sisera [leader of Canaanites, giants] him into your hand’? [Deborah speaking]

And Barak said to her, ‘If you will go with me, then I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go!’ [coward!] So Deborah said, ‘I will surely go with you but there will be no glory for you in the journey you are taking, for the Lord will deliver Sisera into the hand of a woman.’  Judges 4:6-9

Rahab, a harlot in old Jericho, found herself entertaining two Hebrew spies sent by Joshua. The spies indicated tremendous fear about invading the land of the Canaanites (giants); Rahab boldly scolded the ‘men’, testifying what they themselves should have remembered in their own hearts – that the Hebrew God was fearsome to His enemies. She named some of the known triumphs of Yaweh – escaping captivity in Egypt, the Red Sea crossing, destroying the Egyptian army, and the destruction of the kings of the Amorites…!

I know that the Lord Yaweh has given you the land, that the terror of you has fallen on us…for the Lord your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath. Joshua 2:9-11

The Hebrew Midwives, who refused to kill male infants –

Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives…’When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birthstools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live.’ But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive. Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, and the people multiplied and grew very mighty. And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them.    Exodus 1:15-17, 20-21

The ‘poor widow’

Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites… So He …said to His disciples  ‘…this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given…for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had… Mark 12:41-44 [is how much you put in more significant, or how much you hold back??]

The ‘sinful woman’

Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to eat. And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. …He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven…Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.’  Luke 7:36-38, 48, 50

Ruth is the final Godly mother I will make note of here. Not too many details come to my own mind at this moment. But collecting information on your own shouldn’t be too much a challenge - there’s an entire book of the Bible telling her story (beginning on page 440).

However, Ruth must have been very important! Edith, my first mentor, and one of the most God-fearing women I have even known, named her own 1st born child ‘Ruth’. This 20th century Ruth lived to a ripe old age, rearing a healthy family of 6 kids. Managing to sustain a lifelong marriage, she was a literal example of [Ruth]. Among other things, Ruth insisted on church attendance for her kids. When the wintry lake-effect snow dropped 2 or 3 feet over night, too deep to get her car out of the driveway, Ruth did the only thing that made sense to her – she called for a taxi-cab! I couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful mother!

Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.       I Corinthians 2:9

A Profile in Faith From a God-Fearing Mother

Jochebed, along with her entire nation of people, the Hebrews, lived in slavery in Egypt at a time when the Egyptian Pharaoh decreed that all male Hebrew babies would be killed by drowning (the bigger picture – another attempt by Satan to terminate the lineage of the coming Hebrew Messiah!). It was in this horrible setting that Jochebed found herself pregnant, delivering a beautiful baby boy (1571 BC according to James Ussher)…a boy doomed by law to be soon executed!

One would have to think there were ‘serious repercussions’ for mothers who did not ‘go along with the ‘Egyptian plan’! No one can be certain what would have happened had this situation occurred today, but I can easily see a public march of protest at the capital, a law suit at the supreme court, letters to the editor and more letters to representatives in government office. I can also see running and hiding - attempting to go ‘off the grid’ as they say now, and removal of the infant from their home by ‘social services’ or swat teams. Sadly I can also see murder suicides….

Then, later on – the songs, the books, the movies in commemoration.

Not saying any of these things I envision are wrong, necessarily, but how has this sort of activity worked so far? (think of dozens and dozens of major anti-war protests beginning over a half century ago…and today we have – wars and rumors of wars! Think of dozens and dozens of ways execution of unborn infants has been protested over the past 45 years…and today the numbers have climbed to almost 60,000,000 in the usa alone, with around 2000 more each day!)

What did the God-fearing Hebrew mother named Jochebed do? No doubt she prayed…HARD…no doubt she cried…LOTS…and we are TOLD she and her husband were not afraid of Pharaoh – which tells me that she ‘worked things out’ with her husband, and the way they ‘worked things out’ was with their loving heavenly Father. The faith of Jochebed and her husband, in the face of the execution of their infant, resulted in very improbable blessings, beginning with their lack of fear. It is also notable that none of her closest friends (including family – at least one sister) and neighbors did not report the pregnancy, nor the birth…probably giving up a reward…no doubt also the work of God!

By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king's command.   Hebrews 11:23

God rewards faith, and cannot be pleased without faith.

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.          Hebrews 11:6

It seems God does not often reveal His entire plan at once, lest, like me, I would tinker with His plan! So in His plan with Jochebed and her husband –

1) God rekindled and fortified their faith in Him…that HE is in control, not Pharaoh;

2) God permitted the parents to keep their beautiful baby boy for the 1st 3 months, to love, instill initial values, to nurture (including breast feeding, which of course we are taught today is ‘unnatural’!)

and then…

3) the unthinkable – turning the child loose (after a mere 3 months)…turn him completely over to God’s providence – put him in a home-made floating basket and set him adrift in the river!!  Yes, still trusting God for what she did not know, but interjecting – I have to suspect she assumed she would not see him again in this life.

Now the rest of the story…the rest of His plan (Exodus 2:1-10)…and can anyone think of anyone who could have pulled this off? The basket of the beautiful baby boy was soon hung up in reeds along the shore…and spotted by the very daughter of Pharaoh, Queen Bithia, who was approaching the river to bathe!! Opening the basket, she was ‘overcome with compassion’! Despite the realization that the infant was a Hebrew boy, she decided to ensure his well-being! (‘Faith’,‘compassion’, well-being’…anyone else seeing what I am seeing?)

Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?  Jeremiah 32:27

Then…again - can anyone think of anyone who could have pulled this off? Jochebed was hired (paid!) to nurse her own child, and help raise him in his early years, possibly in her own home until such time as the child had ‘grown’! 

Again in faith, Jochebed gave up her baby a second time – she brought him back to Pharaoh’s daughter, who then adopted him, naming him Moses, who went on to receive the best training and education available in that day. In his own faith, Moses renounced his ties to Egypt, leading the Hebrew nation out of their slavery, Becoming one of the most significant men in all of history!

The story, so important in the history of the Hebrew peoples, was no doubt repeated orally century after century. The story of the faith of the young Hebrew mother, Jochebed, was so well known, it apparently was not put in writing until the time in history came that God began seeking out non-Hebrew people (who likely had never heard of the story)…early in the 1st century, AD.

Bottom line – new mother and Hebrew slave, Jochebed, could trust God because she sought Him first.

… seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you    Matthew 6:33

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3

How blessed is the one who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers, but his delight is in the law [instructions, plan]  of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a strong tree growing by steams of fresh waters, bearing forth its fruit in its season…whose leaf does  not wither; and in whatever he does he prospers.

The ungodly are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind drives away.                              Psalms 1:1-4

Encouragement and Insight For this Year’s Graduates

Congratulations on your graduation, friend! As you cross this bridge into your new life, a life with many uncertainties, perhaps some insight from our loving heavenly Father will invigorate and even solidify your spirit.

The word of God is a lamp [NOT shackles!] …blessed are those who keep My ways…

First - a solemn warning – no one, none of us has ever ‘arrived’; there are no ‘graduations’, no ‘graduates’, no diplomas, no upper class, no ‘senior’ citizens in the spiritual sense. We all battle the unpredictable twists and turns in the path of life, the ups and the downs. And the relentless seductions in our thought life by the cunning, evil, and ever lurking enemy, who seeks to destroy us. Accordingly, all must purposefully guard our thoughts –

whatever is true, honorable, pure, lovely, praiseworthy, good…set your mind  on these things.   [ONLY these things!]

The enemy will keep attacking; it doesn’t get any easier with time or age or accolades (while this is as good as it gets for a non-believer, this is as bad as it gets for believers!). Plan ahead - know what your response will be to his almost irresistible and virtually continuous enticements, seductions and deceptions. No anger. No self-pity. No bitterness. No vengeance. None! Decide to be thankful. In all things. Always!

Guard your heart (24/7) with all of your diligence, for from your heart flows the essences of life.

As you think within your heart my friend, so you are!

…as a mirror reveals y0ur face, s0 your heart reveals the true you…

A sound heart is life to the body…

Do not conform to the world; rather – become different, changed…by the renewing of your mind

[think in a new  way….think differently!]

Please - do not try to fit in to this world, particularly by compromise of God’s principles and standards!

…friendship with this world is enmity with God

You are not a citizen of this hurtful and doomed world trying to get to Heaven; you are already a citizen of Heaven! As you journey through this foreign land of storms and strife, endeavor.

our citizenship is in heaven

Continue to pursue wisdom. Don’t focus overly much on the trials, detours and delays of your journey; rather – focus on the promises of God…AND what it is He is trying to teach you in each section of rough road, each detour! A bump in the road is not the end of the road, and it is not a calamity, but rather a teaching point!

Reproofs of instruction are the  way of life…

The ear that hears the rebukes of life will abide among the wise.

He who walks with wise men will be wise…

On a more positive note, do you realize how special you are to God; you are custom designed? You are unique. There is no one exactly like you…not now, not ever before…and not ever again!

Before I wove you together in your mother’s womb, I knew you…

I fashioned your heart individually, specially, uniquely…; you are My workmanship!

…wonderfully and fearfully made!                            [carefully and respectfully designed, and then hand-crafted…by the BEST!]

Since you are unique, there’s no sense comparing yourself to another, nor trying to be like someone else! Ask your loving heavenly Father to reveal who it is He designed you to be…a vision for your life, what your gifts are…and then USE those gifts and BE that person!

Call out to Me Friend, and I will show you awesome things you can’t even begin to imagine!

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy! Everyone wants to be happy! But God teaches us that happiness is not attainable as a ‘goal’; it is only attainable as a by-product - of going about life HIS way…

The fruits of the Spirit [clinging to God’s way, abiding in His Spirit] are love, JOY [happiness!], peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control…

He who heeds the word wisely will find good, and whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he

Happy is the man who finds wisdom…

Back Home

If I had the power to turn back the clock,

go back to that house at the end of the block -

The house that was HOME when I was a kid,

I know I’d love it more than I did.

If I could be back there at my mother’s knee,

And hear once again all the things she told me,

I’d listen as I never listened before,

For she knew so well just what life had in store.

And all the advice my dad used to give,

His voice I’ll remember as long as I live;

But it didn’t seem really important then;

What I’d give just to live it all over again.

And what I’d give for the chance I once had,

To do so much more for my mother and dad;

To give them more joy and a little less pain;

A little more sunshine…a little less rain.

But the years roll on and we cannot go back,

Whether we were born in a mansion or in a shack;

But we can start right now…in the hour that’s here,

To do something more for the ones we hold dear.             [author not known to me]

As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you…   Isaiah 66:13

Prayer of a God-fearing mother –
Loving heavenly Father, I come to You asking You to forge me into be a Virtuous woman…a woman of strong Character, great wisdom, many skills and great Compassion. An excellent friend, daughter, wife and mother, In whatever task you have given me here on earth may l do it with my whole heart, May my strength and dignity not come from my earthly achievements but may they be found in my reverence for you Oh God! May my attractiveness not be of outward garments but from inward character. Create in me a clean heart oh God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me, do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me, restore to me the joy of your Salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me... Amen.                                                        - Helena Moorer, Maryland

+++

About like your MOM has probably been constantly in prayer over YOU for a lot of years!

About like your Grandma has probably also been constantly in prayer of YOU as well!

+

As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you…  

Isaiah 66:13

+

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children [and friends] walk in truth.   III John 1:4

+

…peace be with you!  

John 20:21