frame

Testimony of Miriam to Marcellus in the Book, The Robe

stmannstmann Posts: 47Member
in Bible Studies & Sermons Must be logged on
Note

Testimony of Miriam to Marcellus in the Book, The Robe

The Robe is a 1950s vintage novel/movie  by Lloyd C. Douglas, an historical fiction account of the crucifixion. The main character of the story was a roman legionnaire named Marcellus, who had just been banished from Rome to Jerusalem for displeasing the emperor. Marcellus arrived the day of the trial and crucifixion of Jesus. Since Marcellus was the new man in town, his initiation was conducting the horrible public execution. 

Within hours after dutifully carrying out his orders to conduct the ghastly crucifixion, Marcellus received a reprieve from the emperor due to the influence of his powerful father. Immediately Marcellus headed back to Rome. However, despite his familiarity with death and blood and dying, he was beyond distraught…unstable …because, in looking into the eyes of Jesus, Marcellus KNEW He was innocent. Marcellus had in his possession the robe of Jesus, which he had won in a drunken roll of the dice. 

Back in Rome, his physicians told him he needed to go back to Jerusalem to find out what ‘curse’ it was that tormented him. So, Marcellus returned to the place of the ghastly crucifixion, but not as a fearful roman legionnaire. Rather, Marcellus travelled incognito…as a simple garment merchant, curious about folks who made garments such as the robe had had with him.

Marcellus came upon a young lady named Miriam, a wonderfully gifted singer…and paraplegic. She shared her complete devotion and love of Jesus with Marcellus. Marcellus listened, but scoffed at the talk of a resurrection; he, as a roman soldier, KNEW when a man was dead! He had left Jerusalem in the evening only a few hours after the crucifixion, and therefore had not seen what others had seen.  He mocked Miriam, asking her if Jesus was so powerful and could perform such wonderful miracles at will, why didn’t He heal HER? 

Miriam explained that Jesus DID heal her…and Marcellus countered ‘you cannot walk even a single step!’  Miriam agreed, but added how after her injury but prior to meeting her Lord, she had been deeply angry, bitter and depressed. In fact she wished to DIE. In her chance encounter with Jesus, He had somehow given her new joy…new peace…new hope!  As well as deeper compassion for the plight of others and a gift for singing!

How very blessed is the one who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers. But his delight is in the loving instructions of the loving heavenly Father, and in this counsel he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree growing by ceaseless streams of fresh water, and bears fruit in its season, whose leaf does not wither; in whatever he does he shall prosper. (The ungodly are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind drives away….)  Psalms 1:1-4

And Marcellus again pointed out that she still could not walk even a single step.

Miriam explained that Jesus could easily have healed her legs, and had He done that, of course she would be joyful… because of her good fortune!  But instead, He chose to not heal her legs, but restored joy to her heart –EVEN. IN. HER. PRESENT. CIRCUMSTANCES!  Regardless of her circumstances!

Other than the presence of Jesus in her life, there was simply NO reason for her to now have hope or peace or joy! None!

+ + +

In the real world of the present day,

do we rely on circumstances for our joy?

Or do we rely on the promises of God and His presence in our hearts…

and in remembering what He has already DONE for us??

Comments

• dougblairdougblair Waterloo Ontario CanadaPosts: 12Member
    A very commendable piece. You like to keep the rich old chestnuts alive. So do I...Doug
    https://issuu.com/dewane/docs/judah_ben_hur_352dc1c8ad0f26
  • stmannstmann Posts: 47Member
    thanks!  and amen!

Remember

Jesus answered and said to them –

‘Go and tell…the things which you hear and see…

the poor have the gospel preached to them…

blessed is he who is not offended because of Me’.

[Matthew 11:4-6]

Say to God, ‘how awesome are Your works!’     [Psalms 66:3]

The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple [Psalm 19:7]

I will remember the works of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.

I will also meditate on all Your works, and talk of Your deeds.                   [Psalms 77:11-12]

Make me understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I meditate on Your wondrous works. [Psalms 119:27]

I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands.   Psalms 143:5

Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; And His greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall praise Your works to another, and shall declare Your mighty acts. I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, and on Your wondrous works. Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, and I will declare Your greatness. They shall utter the memory of Your great goodness, and shall sing of Your righteousness. The LORD is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy [Psalms 145:3-]

The living, the living man, he shall praise You…the father shall make known Your truth to the children. [Isaiah 38:19]

Come and see the works of God; He is awesome in His doing toward the sons of men. [Psalm 66:5]

I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works….

You have made me glad through [eyewitness to] your work…            [Psalms 9:1]

Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name;

make known His deeds among the people!

…Sing to Him, sing psalms unto Him:

talk of all His wondrous works!         

[Psalms 105:1]

Praise the LORD!

The works of the LORD are great…

His work is honorable and glorious…

He has made His wonderful works to be remembered;

the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.  [Psalm 111:1-4]

O LORD, how great are Your works!                                 [Psalm 92:5]

But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. [Jude 5]

Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.    [Job 37:14]

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.  [Proverbs 22:8]

Be cautious and guard your soul diligently all the days of your life, so that you will remember in your heart

the things you have seen; share your eyewitness lessons to your children and grandchildren.    [Deuteronomy 4:9]

+

Remember the former things of old,

for I am God,  and there is no other like Me –

declaring the end from the beginning…

[Isaiah 46:9-10]

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just,

whatsoever things are pure [NO ulterior motives!], whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report;

if there be any virtue,  and if there is anything praiseworthy,  meditate on  [remember and ponder!],  these things   [only!]  

[Philippians 4:8]

• stmannstmann Posts: 47Member
    Must be logged on
    Note
    thanks brother!!  all glory to God!
    grace and peace....